Sign near the main trailhead. Full text: “From 1833 to 1861, lead from southwest Wisconsin was brought here and formed into lead shot (buckshot size and smaller). The Smelter House and Shot Tower are located at the top of the hill. This was also part of the plat of the second village of Helena which was platted in 1837. The first village of Helena was about 2 miles west of here. <-- Historical marker 50 ft."